Monday, April 20, 2009

Busy as a backward bee



I found this great website and this dear sister with an inspiring letter. Please read it and check out her website. You will be so glad you did. http://www.lainesletters.com


How often I eat the bread of idleness!
Dear Sisters,

"She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

I am busy as a bee today. There is always so much to do, isn't there?! Many times during my day I have to stop and ask the LORD what direction to go as my mind is boggled by the many things requiring my attention. Presently it is 1:30 p.m. and I have a sink full of dishes (from baking and lunch). I have bread to fashion into loaves and dinner rolls, the kitchen to sweep and mop, and some clothes to hang out as soon as they stop spinning. There are also clothes to put away, another room to clean for my sweet cousin's arrival in two days, and I am in the middle of sorting school books. So much to do! Oh, I surely left out balancing the check book, writing that thank you note, finishing the pot roast meal in the crock pot, making some treat for my husband's lunch, and finishing the small plot of weeding that I started earlier this morning. Will I get it all done? I'm heading in that direction...LORD willing.

Here is what I have learned to make my tasks a little more pleasant. Are you ready?! I am kind of a backwards type person...smile. So what I like to do is to make a list of what I have already done. Notice..."already done." Oh, this is a fun list, Sisters. Because when you look at this list you are looking at your accomplishments thus far! I practiced this for days and days one month in a loose leaf binder. It changed my outlook on my job when I realized how much I actually accomplished in a day. I put down everything I did after I did it. Then when my husband got home I handed him the list. Everything I did was right there for him to see. Wow, was he impressed! To be honest, I was a bit surprised myself.

So if there was something that I hadn't accomplished in my day, which I had hoped to, I would look back on my "done" list and feel such pleasure just realizing what I had actually accomplished. And the fact that I could write it down after I did it made me want to get it done all the more. So my lists kept getting longer and longer each day. It is still fun to come across one of those lists by chance in my desk. Even now they make me smile and encourage me to press on in my homemaking.

Since I find "To Do" lists kind of daunting, this is one list that brings me true joy. So when my husband asks me what I did all day, I can just point to my long list lying on the kitchen desk with the heading "Busy As A Bee" penned at the top!

Love to you,
Laine
Your Backward Sister

1 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

Love it! Love it! Love it!
btw... you are linked... The picture of the jars is up and running. Come check it out!